Saturday, 16 August 2014

Painting on Fusible Webbing !

Good Morning all, just a quickie this morning as we are off to a wedding today. The clouds are beginning to clear and there are large chunks of blue sky appearing so fingers crossed for a lovely day.
Todays entry was inspired by Penny Nuttall over on PaperArtsy's Blog, she made a material book using hessian and fusible webbing, material and paint---- had to have a play! to view her brilliant book click on the link .

To begin with I made a paper pattern of the heart shape by folding a piece of paper in half and drawing the half shape I was happy with before cutting out. This was used as my template for the natural coloured calico material. Once this was cut I then frayed some of the edges.

I then painted the iron-on fusible webbing with PaperArtsy Chalk Acrylics in Zesty Zing, Nougat and Guacamole. My first attempt I was not happy with, I don't think I added enough water but the second go was much more successful. The paper backing was then removed and using baking parchment to prevent it sticking to the iron it was ironed onto the calico heart. This then had a little Treasure Gold in Olive Bronze rubbed over the paint.
Next I stamped the butterfly from Tops and Tails 6 onto some tissue paper in Archival black. This was then cut out leaving a small margin around the edges and a coat of PA Fresco Metallic Glaze was applied.
The swirly tree in the stamp set was used to stamp around the edges of the heart. As I save various seed heads from the garden I decided to use a couple of poppy heads on this project, so part of the seed head was cut away with a craft knife to allow it to sit on the card and the raised edges were also rubbed with the olive bronze wax.

The flowers that you can see at the edges of the photo I decided not to use on this card in the end.

Using some packaging cardboard I then cut out some trellis using the Tim Holtz die and painted this in the same 3 colours as the fusible webbing. This too had touches of the olive bronze wax.

I always keep some of the cut-outs from the trellis so I decided to add one that was from some linen textured card.

The card was then assembled, the blank has a very small dark pink fleck in it so I used a piece of torn Tim Holtz Kraft-Core no 5 and lightly sanded some parts. Before sticking this down I added some tissue tape above and below where the kraft-core would go. The trellis was cut in 2 as it needed to be just a bit longer!

The seed heads were tied with a length of hemp string. As I was not sure who this card would be for I made a flower from brown wrapping paper using the tattered florals die of TH and stamped the swirly tree onto the petals in Brilliance Pearlescent Olive ink. Then passed it through the Cuttlebug text embossing folder. I had some spare card the same as the card blank and cut out a small tag so I can then add a message or name at a later date.

I would like to enter this card for PaperArtsy's Weekly Challenge and 
Sunday Stampers Challenge by Hels Sheridan titled "Natural"

Well I must away, nails to varnish, hair to wash etc, hope you all have a great weekend, thanks for stopping by and take care Jane x


  1. What a beautifu card Jane, love the seedheads, they are gorgeous and go perfectly with the layers you created... Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

  2. This is stunning Jane! A beautiful composition!
    Alison x

  3. Great mixed media piece. Love the natural look and the trellis extension. LOL

  4. Yes, love the composition on this one, fabulous! Ruth x

  5. This is absolutely charming! What a wonderful take on penny's project,

    Lucy x

  6. oooo, wonderful seed heads….need to play. just love the composition, it is divine. x

    1. Cheers Hazel, beware though even when you think you've shaken all the seeds out they still keep appearing! X

  7. I love the composition and the different elements you've used with this, Jane. I adore poppy heads! Julie Ann xxx

  8. Jane this is wonderful, I love those poppy heads - just fabulous! xx