Thursday, 8 January 2015

Canvas using 'Fragile Papers'

Hi everyone and a very Happy New Year to you, I hope 2015 has started well for you. Today I have made a canvas that was inspired by the PaperArtsy New Challenge over on their blog titled 'Fragile Papers'. To see the DT's wonderful creations and view the video click on the link here.

To begin with I stamped the main image from LPC010 stamp set onto tissue paper using Archival Watering Can and just touching the edges of the stamp with Sepia. Once dry I tore around the edges and then coloured the cheeks from the underside using Distress inks in Worn Lipstick for the centres of the cheeks and Spun Sugar to highlight the skin.

The lips and eyes were coloured using Sakura jellyroll pens in ruby and blue.

Then onto the canvas - for this I used a 5 x 7 inch cotton canvas board. 

I added torn pieces of old dress making patterns and some drywall tape to the top. This was then given a coat of watered down white gesso. 
Next using a fairly dry brush I started to add colour, starting with Fresco Chalk Acrylics in Seaweed and Chutney.

The brush strokes went either up and down the canvas or across not in all directions. Then I introduced 3 other colours- Chartreuse, Autumn Fire and Tikka and these were diagonally across the canvas.

A regal flourish was stamped in Watering Can using the stamp from Crowns and Castle 5.

Then using the border stamp from ECL01 set I stamped the 2 side edges in Brilliance pearlescent olive and then brushed on some Perfect Pearls in perfect pearl. 

The flower was made using vellum for the centre petals and stamped using the 2 flower stamps from the same set ECL01 in watering can and then heat embossing with clear powder. The outside petals were made using Crunchy Waxed Kraft paper which was cut using the grunge flower die and then passing through Craft Concepts Budding Vine embossing folder which had Versa-mark ink on the upper part of the folder. Once embossed it was then brushed with copper mica powder and then scrounged up. 

The leaves were stamped onto copier paper that I had coloured with mica sprays and then scrunged up whist still wet. These are very fragile when you unscrunge them---- and can colour your hands!

The centre of the flower is a wooden button and the ladies head dress was made by crocheting some fine jewellery wire and adding tiny beads as you go along.

Well is great to get back to the craft room after the Christmas and New Year festivities and to start the new year off with such a different type of challenge, thanks PaperArtsy.

Thanks to you all for your lovely comments last year, I hope to be worthy of some in 2015. Take care and have a good week Jane x


  1. This is gorgeous, Jane, i love that headdress!

    Lucy x

  2. Really lovely canvas with your layered background.
    Stamping on tissue paper gave such a delicate look to that pretty lady too!

  3. Jane what a fantastic number of great techniques you have incorporated into your canvas! Love how she turned out, the flower, the looks like you really enjoyed yourself! Thanks for sharing with us!

  4. Love the flower and techniques!

  5. Gorgeous canvas Jane, and I love the head dress of the lady you have patiently made with those lovely fine beads... Very beautiful! Crafty hugs, Coco xx