Saturday, 28 February 2015

"Miniature Art"

Hi, and welcome to you, hope your Saturday is ticking along nicely. Today I am going to share my entry for PaperArtsy's fortnightly challenge titled ' Topic 4 Miniature Art'. Do click on the link to view not only a video describing various types of miniature art but to see the DT's beautiful works of art that inspired me to have a go ! here.


For this I used a mini MDF tag which measures 4.5cm x 3cm and started by giving it a coat of fresco chalk paint in Pea Coat, then a coat of crackle glaze and finally a coat of Nougat.
Then I sanded a small off cut of clear shrink plastic and painted it with Very Berry and when dry stamped in Archival Watering Can using the word spring from the stamp set Bloom.


I then cut the plastic to the right size and shrunk it with a heat gun.


Next I masked off various areas of the tag and gave them a very light coat of various translucent paints which I lightly dabbed off again with a damp baby wipe.

The stamping was done in Versa-fine onyx black ink using stamps from sets LPC030, Bloom, Jofy 13 and 43.


The leaf at the top of the tag was stamped in brilliance pearlescent ivy.


The little bird was heat embossed with clear powder and the beak painted in Zesty Zing.

For the face in the centre I added a little Blush to where I felt the main part of her face would come but left the remainder of the background unpainted. Her eyes were given a dot of sakura belly roll pen and the lips painted with Claret paint. The hair is made from unravelled hairy string!


The watering can had a touch of Pewter paint added to give a slight sheen.

Then I decided to give the girl a hat ----- this I crocheted using some fine cotton and started with 5 chain and worked 5 single crochet but then I tried and unpicked it several times so I don't know what came after that.


Then it was back to the shrink plastic and this time I used the frosted version so didn't need to sand the surface first. The flower head was painted first with Spanish Mulberry and the stem in Evergreen. The flower pot was painted with a mix of Autumn Fire , Chutney and Zesty Zing to get a terracotta type colour.

The top was finished with some fancy yarn, white beads and a small copper flower which I found in my stash.


This photo was taken with the tag on top of a pot of treasure gold to give an idea of the finished size.

I have never done anything in miniature before, I must say it's certainly more challenging and time consuming but great fun -- so if you have a spare couple of hours do give it a try and join in with the challenge over at PaperArtsy.


Thanks for stopping by and I would love to hear your comments, thoughts or tips. Take care and enjoy your weekend.  Jane x













6 comments:

  1. love the unravelled hairy string and the hat! this is an inspired piece of art! love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mini tag is great, it's nice to see the same image on our projects used in different ways. Fab project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous - I love the techniques you've used, especially the diamond background in pastels - such a fab idea. A beautiful little tag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so much detail! I love the coloured grid the hair. BUT THE HAT IS FANTASTIC! Suits her perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't believe how much detail you've managed in such a tiny space - and agree the hair and hat are wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow wow wow such an stunning creation, I love how you did such detail especially with the shrink plastic and wow that mini had looks awesome. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete