I was very lucky to be chosen as one of the members of Lucy Edmondson's team for PaperArtsy's #3UP, our colour brief was purple, yellow and a dash of blue ---- these perhaps would not be my first to go to set of colours but I like to try new combinations. I had decided to set myself the challenge of starting a new craft of 'bookbinding' and felt this was the opportune moment and as I didn't get around to making a piece for the ' Shiny Things' challenge a few weeks ago made this my theme to follow.
To begin with I painted a piece of A4 white card with Pansy and Plum Fresco Chalk Acrylic mixed with a splash of Dusty Concord Distress Ink. I then added touches of Zesty Zing, Pumpkin Soup, Inky Pool and China.
Then using stencil PS005 I sponged through dusty concord and then brushed over mica powder in perfect pearls and antique gold.
Next it was onto changing the colour of the book canvas and also adding a shimmer--- so I mixed Treasure Gold in Ruby and Sapphire on a tile with a palette knife and spread this onto the canvas, left this to soak in for about 10mins and then buffed up with a piece of kitchen poll and then an old, soft tea-towel.
As you can see there was a dramatic change in colour, but I was thrilled with how it blends in with the card for the cover.
Then it was on to making the signatures, each one was made from 4 pieces of A5-- one sheet of watercolour paper and 3 of 90gsm paper. These were folded in half to make 1 signature and there was a total of 4.
The holes were made with an awl and sewn together with waxed linen thread. The back/spine was given a coat of PVA glue and once dry the ribbon was attached with another coat of glue.
The backing boards and spine were cut to size and the book canvas was then attached with glue.
I then cut the painted card to size and attached to the boards. The inner lining paper was cut to size, the front page was stamped with the pen from LPC030 in watering can and then these and the signatures were glued in place. The book was then left under weighted books over night to dry.
This was a nerve racking time!
The next day I attached the book plate that I'd cut from blue and yellow leather using a Tim Holtz die, the letters ART were cut from card painted in plum and then triple embossed with clear embossing powder. The blue leather is very grainy and I have hi-lighted parts with sapphire treasure gold.
Well I know it has a few minor faults but I am thrilled with how its turned out. I'm now itching to make another and I think family and friends will be getting personalised books for presents this year. I have even persuaded Rob ( Hubby ) to make a book press!!
Thanks to all at PaperArtsy for the chance to take part in this series of #3UP I've really enjoyed the challenge.
Thanks also to my other team members, it's been lovely to have their support and to make new friends. If you have time do pop over to the PaperArtsy Blog and see the rest of the teams wonderful art work, click on the link here.
Take care and have a good evening, bye for now Jane x