Sunday, 11 May 2014

Fun With The Gelli Plate

Hi Everyone, had some fun with the gelli plate yesterday experimenting with PaperArtsy Fresco Chalk Acrylics---- and I really love the way the paint drys. Its hard to describe so here is a close up of an area.

Ok, here's what I did. Firstly I put 3 colours of the chalk acrylic on the gelli plate, mermaid at the top, blush in the middle and guacamole at the bottom. I left this to completely dry and it took about 4 mins. Small areas where the paint was thinner seemed to form a slight resist which gives a different dimension and texture. Then I applied a coat of Liquitex acrylic in parchment and working swiftly dabbed the bottom part with some hessian and the top area with some bubble wrap, then pulled the print.

Then using the summer garden stencil by Claudine Hellmuth I applied a coat of PaperArtsy Grunge Paste through one of the flowers. This was then left to dry for about 30mins.

Next I stamped the fairy wings twice from Lavinia Stamps Mia fairy onto acetate using jet black Archival ink. Once this was dry ( takes a little longer to dry on the acetate ) I coloured the wings with cranberry Alcohol Ink on the underside. Then using a Quickie Glue Pen applied some glue to the wings and then some rose coloured glitter. Once dry I cut these out with some scissors.

The grunge paste flower was then coloured with Distress Ink in Victorian Velvet, Adirondack in Aubergine and Versa-Magic chalk ink in Pink Petunia. Whilst the ink was still damp I brushed the petals with Cosmic Shimmers Mica Powder in Antique Red.

The stem was coloured with Distress ink in Iced Spruce and the leaf in Bundled Sage and Peeled Paint.

The fairy was stamped onto the card in Brilliance Starlight black. The poppy seed heads from Lavinia were stamped in 2nd generation Versa-magic Chalk ink in sage and then brushed with Perfect Pearls mica powder.

The small toad stalls also from Lavinia were stamped in 2nd generation Distress ink in Walnut Stain and these were brushed with Cosmic Shimmers Mica in Antique Gold.

The Happy Birthday sentiment was embossed with a Sizzix folder on some Tim Holtz Kraft-Core, cut out using a woodward punch and then rubbed with some Treasured Gold Wax in Ruby.

The bow was cut using the Tim Holtz Bow Tied Die and the 4 corners were cut from the Spellbinders Lattice collection. The corners were lightly rubbed with Treasured Gold in Pewter to hi-light the raised areas.

Now for the final steps, the edges of the print were inked in Iced Spruce before mounting onto some card the same as was used for the 4 corners. 

I inked 2 of the stars on the Lavinia small stars stamp in Brilliance Moonlight White and randomly stamped these in the sky area 5 times. These were then brushed with perfect pearls mica powder.

Using the quickie glue pen dots of glue were added around the fairy's hands and then sprinkled with white glitter to resemble fairy dust. The 4 corners were then stuck in place and the bow and sentiment were stuck using pin flair glue. Finally the pair of wings were stuck using glossy accents.

I would like to enter this card for the following challenges;

Lavinia Stamps Challenge titled "Birthday Girl"
Hels Sheridan's Sunday Stampers titled "Pink"

Thank you as always for stopping by and I hope you have enjoyed todays crafting session. If you have any comments or questions about this make please feel free to leave them at the bottom of the page as I do love to hear what you think as thats how we all learn, and the crafting community is always generous with its help and knowledge.

Hope you all manage to grab a few minutes creative time over the next few days and hopefully I'll see you back here soon. Take Care, Jane x


  1. This is so cool... love the different techniques you used with the Fresco Paints... amazing effect... Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

  2. Fantastic project and so pretty.. thank you for entering the lavinia stamps challenge .
    Eleen x