Thursday, 12 June 2014

Beaded Fairy Dust

Hi everyone and what an amazing day we've had here in Kent, so hot! Tried doing some housework but it was too warm, ( well that's my excuse) so decided to do some playing with a piece of calico. It's hard to capture the texture of the paints and the stamping on camera but I think with the different stages you will get the general feel of how it turned out.

Piece of natural coloured calico about 13cm square with some iron-on interfacing on the back
Lavinia Stamps
PaperArtsy Fresco Chalk Acrylics in Blush, Nougat, Snowflake, Pansy and  Spanish Mulberry 
Distress inks in walnut Stain and Victorian Velvet
Angelina Fibres
Archival in Jet Black and Watering Can
Mica Powders in Perfect Pearls and Black Pearl
Brilliance Ink in Pearlescent Olive and Crimson and Starlight Black
Few small beads and 1 pearl bead
Invisible Thread

To begin with I brayered the acrylic paints onto the material in no particular pattern until I had the background I was happy with.

I then stamped the path in Spanish Mulberry paint and then over stamped in walnut stain ink. The fairy was stamped in Watering Can but I did not ink all of the wings of the stamp as I didn't want them to show on the calico once I had fixed the fibre wings in place.

The toad stalls were stamped in the olive and crimson pearlescent ink and then brushed with perfect pearls mica.
The small mushrooms were stamped in starlight black and then brushed in the black pearl mica.
The fairy dust was stamped in the snowflake paint.

Next I ironed some Angelina Fibres between 2 pieces of baking parchment and then stamped the wings in Jet black ink twice to form the 2 pairs.

This was a mixture of pink and blue fibres and were then cut out with scissors.

The calico was then cut to size and the edges frayed.

The beads were then sewn on with the invisible thread along with the wings and the pearl bead.

The edges of the card were lightly brushed with victorian velvet ink and then the ivy stamped in the 2 corners in pearlescent olive. These were then brushed with the perfect pearls mica and a pearl gem stuck where the stems cross over.

The sentiment was then stamped onto white card in the pearlescent crimson and cut out with a die.

The material was then stuck in the centre of the card using pin flair glue and the sentiment stuck in the top lefthand corner and a mauve gem  placed on top.

I would like to enter this card for the Lavinia Stamp Challenge titled " Add some beads or gems"

I hope you all have great weekend and please pop back here soon for some more crafty ideas. Thank-you for stopping today and I hope you have found a tiny piece that has interested you, please leave any comments or queries at the bottom of the page as I do love to hear your views.
Until next time, take care and enjoy your crafting time  Jane x.


  1. What a lovely card and so much detail. Thanks for joining the Lavinia Stamps Challenge and good luck! Kx

  2. What a fabulous idea, and such a lovely outcome, the fairy wings are gorgeous. Thank you for joining us in the Lavinia Challenge, and good luck, hugs Pauline DT member xxx